I was the lead producer of Awful's Gas & Snack, an immersive art installation about a potential post-climate crisis future. I developed the concept for the project and wrote a successful grant application. I then built and led a team of over 30 people across a variety of creative and technical disciplines, managed construction and logistics, and managed a budget of over $20,000. The installation was staged at Burning Man and Planet Home San Francisco in 2019.
As a software engineer for Genability, I designed and built a suite of composable data visualization components in Angular and D3, enabling rapid creation of novel data visualization interfaces to Genability's API. The components allow code reuse across visualizations, and gracefully delegate responsibility - Angular is used for rendering, while D3 is used for scales and measurement.
As editor of Street Sheet I implemented a re-design of the newspaper and an advertising and media campaign to promote it. I co-wrote a succesful grant application, led a committee of seven people, worked with a designer to create a new logo and visual design, created an ad concept and wrote copy, gave media interviews and organized a succesful launch event.
As managing editor for the Spartan Daily, I lead a move from a proprietary CMS to an open source software stack, including conversion of 10 years of archives. I also co-lead a complete redesign and unification of user experience and brand identity across print and web properties
- Programming languages
- Frameworks, Libraries & Tools
Wordpress, Angular, D3, Django, Express, Flask, React, Leaflet, Pandas, Rails
Excel (and similar), Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Audacity, Final Cut
- Journalism Tradecraft
Writing for Publication, AP Style, Copyediting
Freelance Software Engineer
- January 2008 -
I provide full-stack software engineering services to businesses, universities and nonprofits, specializing in data visualization and online publishing. Key recent projects include:
- Full-stack engineering on Election Databot & Capitol Words for ProPublica (2018)
- Converting 7 years of archived ProPublica news applications from AWS ElasticBeanstalk to AWS ECS (2018)
- DemARK, a set of demos and documentation for EconARK using Jupyter notebooks, with Open Tech Strategies (2018)
- Full-stack engineering for Workbench, a GUI-based data analysis platform for journalists sponsored by Columbia Journalism School (2017-2018)
- Design, development and deployment of Digital Citizen, a multilingual publication on digital civil rights in the Middle East, for Electronic Frontier Foundation (2014-2015)
- November 2018 -
I produce, design and fabricate immersive art installations, integrating a wide variety of creative disciplines. My roles have included team management, construction, writing, audio production, graphic design, logistics and more. Key recent projects include:
- Awful's Gas & Snack (2019) - Lead Producer. A life-size gas station and mini-mart, depicting a world 100 years in the future where gas stations no longer exist. Premiered at Burning Man, also staged at Planet Home San Francisco.
- Triangle Water (2019) - Writing, Acting. A performance piece depicting a multi-level marketing scheme for a fictional "high vibrational water" product, critiquing brand partnerships with art festivals. Produced for a private client.
- Chu Chug (2020) - Writing, Graphic Design. An in-store marketing campaign for an imagined alcoholic beverage, from a future where monocropped, pesticide dependent agriculture has collapsed. Premiered at Val-U-Mart, Oakland
- June 2017 -
I write stories and produce data visualizations for national and San Francisco Bay Area publications, including CityLab, Better Humans, Talk Poverty and Broke-Ass Stuart. My work focuses on poverty, homelessness, environmental justice and the tech industry.
- July 2019 -
Assistant editor for Hoodline's San Francisco and Oakland sections. Edit, assign, and write articles focused on local business and neighborhood news. Write headlines, synopses, captions and other additional copy. Manage a pool of freelance writers. Post stories to Hoodline CMS, including HTML formatting, photo and video, and social media embeds. Post and schedule stories to Hoodline social media accounts. Moderate site comments via Disqus.
- December 2014 - August 2016
Software engineer. Built front-end interfaces to Genability's APIs using the Angular framework. Designed and implemented data visualizations using D3 and Angular, illustrating complex energy usage and cost data, for use in print and web interactive contexts. Built re-usable data visualization components enabling rapid composition of new interactive data visualizations.
- December 2013 - February 2015
Editor-In-Chief of Street Sheet, a publication of the Coalition on Homelessness with a bi-monthly circulation of 17,000, distributed for free to homeless people who sell copies for $2 each. Coordinated and recruited volunteers to submit content to the newspaper. Wrote and assigned news stories. Helped coordinate vendor program. Coordinated writing and photography workshops. Produced layout and design of newspaper.
- February 2013 - July 2013
Gray Area Foundation For The Arts
- July 2012 - February 2013
- December 2008 - August 2010
San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
Bachelors of Science, Journalism — May 31, 2013
Sacramento City College, Sacramento, CA
Associate of Arts, Social Science — June 1, 2010
June 2011 - August 2011